FRITHELSTOCK

the church at frithelstock the clinton arms public house at frithelstock
Parish Church of
St. Mary and St. Gregory
The Clinton Arms

2013 runner up in the annual Best Kept Village Competition, run by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE).

WANTED - IMAGES OF FRITHELSTOCK AND THE AREA AROUND. SEND TO admin@tour-devon.com

MAP FRITHELSTOCK AREA
GENUKI FRITHELSTOCK
STREET MAP
BIRDS EYE VIEW
PARISH WEB SITE
THE CLINTON ARMS
BROADPARK BREAKS
NORTH DEVON GALLERY
EVENTS

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

FRITHELSTOCK is notable for possessing the only remains of a religious house in North Devon. An Augustinian priory was founded here c. 1220 by Robert de Beauchamp, and dissolved in 1536. Only the W. and N. walls of the priory church remain, together with a portion of the S. wall. The W. wall contains three fine lancet windows. When Sir Stephen Glynne visited Frithelstock in 1845 he found much more of the priory standing. There were remains of a tower, at the SW. of the choir, nearly touching the parish church, and the refectory, which had a fine open roof of the Suffolk type with collar and hammer beams. (1933) There is no trace of the refectory now. The parish church (St. Mary and St. Gregory) is much restored and unexciting. It is mainly a 15th century rebuilding to which a S. aisle was added c. 1500. Some good carved bench-ends (temp. Henry VII) display the crowned double rose of Henry VII, a single feather with label for Henry, Prince of Wales, the arms of Hartland Abbey (the mother-house of Frithel- stock), and other figures and emblems. The royal arms, in plaster, are dated 1677.

A short way down the road is Frithelstock Stone

GOOGLE STREET VIEW

satellite view of village showing the priory ruins
Satellite view showing the priory ruins

WILD VIOLETS- THE STORY OF AN EVACUEE TO ASH FARM FRITHELSTOCK

BACK

TOP

all pages protected and legal action will be taken against anyone breaching my copyright

pj milton banner