BISHOPS NYMPTON

the old station new woodland walk
MAP BISHOPS NYMPTON AREA
GENUKI BISHOPS NYMPTON
STREET MAP
BIRDS EYE VIEW
PRIMARY SCHOOL
LITTLE OWLS PRE SCHOOL
PARISH HALL
JOHNNY KINGDOM
famous local resident
RAILWAY!!!
HISTORY

Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:

BISHOP'S NYMPTON was an estate of the bishops of Exeter. The church (St.. Mary) is entirely 15th or early 16th century in date, with a fine, well-proportioned tower. Restored in 1869 and 1877, the interior is Victorian and unexciting. All the roofs have good bosses, especially the S. aisle. An altar-tomb on the N. side of the chancel without inscription is probably that of Sir Lewis Pollard (c. 1465-1450), kings sergeant in 1507, justice of the Common Pleas 1514-26, and one of the many eminent Devon lawyers to found a large estate. He lived at Grilstone in this parish, though he later bought a large estate in King's Nympton (q.v.) and made a park there. A window in the Pollard aisle formerly portrayed the judge with eleven sons kneeling behind him, and his wife with eleven daughters. About this Prince relates a pleasant tale: That his lady, glassing this window in her husband's absence at the Term in London, caused one child more than she then had to be set there; presuming, having had one and twenty already, and usually conceiving at her husband's coming home, that she should have another. Which, inserted in expectation, came to pass in reality. (Prince, Worthies of Devon, 641.)
There are some remains of the old house at Grilstone. Rawstone, Garliford and Hall are other farmhouses which were once the mansions of medieval freeholders and show some evidence of this origin. Whitechapel Barton was called Blaunchechapele in 1281, and Whitechapel in 1333, possibly from the colour of its stonework. The present house, which belonged to the Bassets for centuries, is an attractive building of 16th century date, with some early 18th century alterations.
Bishop's Nympton is a village and civil parish in the North Devon district of Devon, England, about three miles east of South Molton. According to the 2001 census it had population of 932.

It has been the main area for the filming of a 1980s television program called The Passion. Also it's where Johnny Kingdom lives.

The tall, 15th century church tower is a local landmark, and contains a Norman baptismal font, a 15th century arcade, and a richly carved recess.

Niche in St Mary's Church
This decorative niche in St. Mary's Church, Bishops Nympton, is probably the tomb chest of Sir Lewis Pollard, an eminent Devon lawyer who died around 1540. The jambs, arch and spandrels are highly decorated. It may also have served as an Easter Sepulcher.
GOOGLE STREET VIEW - ENTERING BISHOPS NYMPTON
View Larger Map

BACK

TOP

all pages protected and legal action will be taken against anyone breaching my copyright

trimstone manor house hotel banner and link